The Pilot Hill Project
The objective for the Pilot Hill Project is to preserve 5,500 acres of undeveloped open space east of Laramie in order to protect the Casper aquifer drinking water resource, enhance recreational opportunities for residents and visitors, and promote economic development by providing a world-class natural amenity to attract and retain businesses and their employees.
Why support the project?
The project will bring many benefits, including:
- Protection of a portion of the recharge zone to the Casper Aquifer, a primary drinking water source for a majority of Albany County residents
- Protection of the incredible views from Laramie east toward the Laramie Range
- Creation of new public access directly from Laramie to ~5,500 acres of foothills and the Medicine Bow National Forest
- Expansion of public recreation opportunities, which will enhance quality of life for Albany County residents
- Increase in tourism and economic development associated with improved access to open space and recreation
- Preservation of an area that offers crucial winter wildlife habitat